Welcome to The Marksmans Retreat.
If you don't see what you're looking for, ask! We'll try to post it.
Posting, attachments, and many boards are only available to registered members.
Guests, come in and register, it's free! Join in on the discussions, and send your friends.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3
By Stephen Gutowski
Published July 19, 2017
Washington Free Beacon

A lawsuit filed in federal court on Monday alleges the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) violated the gun rights of foster parents.

Caseworkers from MDHHS and a county judge told William Johnson of Ontonagon, Mich., that he had to choose between his Second Amendment rights and fostering his grandson, according to a complaint filed with the United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan. The 54-year-old Johnson is a retired, disabled Marine with a Michigan Concealed Pistol License. He and his wife were asked by the state of Michigan to foster their grandson. According to Johnson's suit, however, the issues began as soon as he arrived at MDHHS to pick up the child.

Johnson said he was searched for a firearm and, although he was not carrying a gun, officials demanded to see his concealed carry license. He was then told he would need to give MDHHS the serial numbers of all of his firearms, including rifles and shotguns, and register them with the agency. After questioning why he would have to register his firearms in order to foster his grandson, Johnson said he was told by one caseworker, "if you want to care for your grandson you will have to give up some of your constitutional rights." When he objected, he was told there would not be a "power struggle" and MDHHS "would just take his grandson and place him in a foster home" if he didn't comply with their requests.

Two weeks later, during a hearing on placement of the child, Johnson said a Gogebic County Court judge similarly told him, "if you want to care for your grandson you will have to give up some of your constitutional rights."

Michigan requires that anyone who wants to be a foster parent must register his handguns with the state as well as keep the guns unloaded and locked in a safe separate from the ammunition. Foster parents in states like Nevada and Oklahoma have challenged similar laws in recent years after being denied foster children over their legally owned firearms. The case against MDHHS also features plaintiffs Brian and Naomi Mason, who said the gun regulations keep them from becoming foster parents.
Gun Related News / Social Security Gun Ban --- REPEALED by Pres. Trump
« Last post by ProtoType (Carl) on July 01, 2016, 01:33:31 PM »
Detail on the SSA / Firearms rulings are being released.
As reported by the NRA-ILA, the restriction criteria is as follows.
The individual would have to fit any of these five factors:
  • Would have to be applying for disability benefits.
  • Would have to be found to be found disabled based on any of a list of "mental disorders"found in SSA rules.
  • Would need to have a primary diagnosis code of a mental impairment rendering the individual disabled under SSA's rules.
  • Would need to be between 18 years old and retirement age (65 or 67 depending on date of birth),
  • Would need to be assigned a representative payee based on a determination that the individual, because of a mental impairment, cannot manage his or her benefits.
Currently only new beneficiaries or existing beneficiaries whose cases come up for review would be affected.
Similar restrictions are underway at the Department of Veteran Affairs. Must be Obama's way of saying "thanks for your service"!Anyone fitting the list, will be reported to the NCIS to stop a firearms purchase. Once listed, an individual would have to petition for restoration of rights. Remember what John Adams, one of our Founding Fathers said, "Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."

ProtoType (Carl)

Repealed by President Trump!
Forum News / Changes in spell check
« Last post by ProtoType (Carl) on May 27, 2016, 04:29:35 PM »
All Members:
The spell check in this forum has been turned off, you will no longer see the spell check at the lower left of posts (by the Post/Preview buttons).
This was done for several reasons:
All current browsers have spell check built in (and they sometimes conflict), plus the "Pspell" library and dictionary loaded into the server will no longer be supported in the nest version of PHP which is part of the processing of the forum.
Your browser should now operate it's own spell check. If you have problems, leave me a PM with the version and name of your browser, and I'll try to assist.
ProtoType (Carl)
The 1911 Project / About the project...
« Last post by ProtoType (Carl) on May 24, 2016, 03:34:58 PM »
Beginning in October, coinciding with Police Pistol Competition, a group of us at our local gun club are going to attempt to build our own 1911 series pistols from the ground up.
While we share a respectable amount of experience with tuning and repair of pistols between all of us, none of us are gunsmiths. I'll leave it to the others involved as to how much personal information they want to share, and their qualifications.
We'll try to add enough pictures and successes or failures as we can during the build.
Of course we will try to answer questions as we go, and if you have some insight or suggestions we'll appreciate them.
'til then...
Exploded Diagrams, Manuals, etc. / Remington 7400
« Last post by ProtoType (Carl) on May 16, 2016, 02:14:39 PM »
PDF format. Manual and exploded diagram.
Exploded Diagrams, Manuals, etc. / Bond Arms
« Last post by ProtoType (Carl) on May 16, 2016, 02:07:51 PM »
PDF format. Manual and exploded diagram.
Miscellaneous Documentation / Front Site Correction Chart
« Last post by ProtoType (Carl) on May 03, 2016, 06:14:00 PM »
PDF format.
Reloading / Reloading Bench and Cabinet Plans
« Last post by ProtoType (Carl) on May 03, 2016, 03:45:39 PM »
PDF format.
A couple of layouts for reloading furniture,
PDF format.
Owners Manual w/ exploded layouts and parts list for each.
Concealed Carry / WHY I KEEP AND BEAR ARMS
« Last post by ProtoType (Carl) on May 01, 2016, 10:18:27 PM »
WHY I KEEP AND BEAR ARMS
Author Unknown

I don't carry a gun to kill people.
I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people.
I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil.
I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government.
I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of  my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.
I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it.
I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Fight Back! Join the NRA.